NS is a neuron in Leech.
NS neurons are non spiking neurons whose membrane potential directly affects the firing frequency of all excitatory motoneurons in a ganglion (Wadepuhl, 1989).
Neuronal Type: Premotor neuron
* The cell body is located in the anterior lateral packet, in position 151 of the ventral aspect of the ganglion.
- The cell extends a main branch in the anterior to poterior direction, with secondary branches leaving through the anterior and posterior roots, on the ipsilateral and contralateral sides. Numerous branches arise from these main neurites.
- The NS neurons are present as a single bilateral pair in each midbody ganglion.
- Neurotransmitter: unknown
NS neurons connect to every excitatory motoneuron in a ganglion through rectifying electrical synapses.
- Wadepuhl M (1989) Depression of excitatory motoneurones by a single neurone in the leech central nervous system, J. Exp. Biol., 143: 509-527. PMID.