N cell is a neuron in the Leech, Hirudo.
- Names and Aliases: _______
- Species: Hirudo
- Neurotransmitter: ____________
- Neuronal Type: Sensory Neuron, Nociceptor
This is where you put a short paragraph to introduce the salient features of this neuron. What should everyone know about this cell if they don't read any farther.
This is where you put information related to the anatomy of the neuron.
- Cell body location:
- Present in Ganglia:
- Number of this neuron type in each ganglion:
- Axon Projection pattern:
- Anterior connective
- Posterior connective
- Ganglion root
- N cells make excitatory synapses on the AE cell. Work by students in the NS&B course in 2008 suggests that not all N cells have equivalent synaptic strength on AE.
- Brodfuehrer PD, Thorogood MS. Identified neurons and leech swimming behavior. Prog Neurobiol. 2001 Mar;63(4):371-81. Review. PMID: 11163683
- 1: Muller KJ, Nicholls JG. Different properties of synapses between a single sensory neurone and two different motor cells in the leech C.N.S. J Physiol. 1974 Apr;238(2):357-69. PMID: 4366432